Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Elizabeth Murray


This was a fun little lesson my long term substitute did on artist Elizabeth Murray. Murray is a painter who used bright, bold colors, and interesting shapes. Murray’s distinctively shaped canvases break with the art-historical tradition of illusionistic space in two-dimensions. Jutting out from the wall and sculptural in form, Murray’s paintings and watercolors playfully blur the line between the painting as an object and the painting as a space for depicting objects.

After discussing what colors may mean, this class illustrated large shapes using bright colors to represent feelings. They then wrote simple descriptions of their artwork and their color choices. 






Pin It

1 comment:

  1. This is a great lesson, and the color key relating to feelings a great way to start discussion about art as expression, something I've always had trouble with as an art teacher. A big thank you, too, because in reading more about this artist I found her picture- looked familiar. I investigated a bit more and discovered she was my drawing teacher in Buffalo, NY during my first year in college. I found a video on PBS, under ART 21 in which Ms. Murray speaks about the process she goes through. It was inspiring and gave me a deja vu straight back into the sixties.

    ReplyDelete