Monday, November 28, 2011

Magazine Bowls


Materials:
- Magazines
- Scotch Tape
- Mod Podge
- Brushes

If you haven't tried these magazine bowls, you've gotta! Everyone can be successful and it's a great recycling project. I love hearing my students tell me they do this at home now : - ).

1. Take a magazine page and fold it in half. I like to keep the colorful sides "out."


2. Open up and use that center crease as a guide line. Fold outside edges to meet that center guide.


3. Without opening up again,  repeat with folding the outside edges towards the center again. (When I was making my exemplar, I did that twice. I ended up with a skinny strip as seen in the picture. After teaching it this way with one class, I soon learned it was a little difficult for some of my students' bitty fingers... SO- you are definitely more welcome to make a skinny strip, as some of my students still wanted to, or feel free to stop at folding it in only twice.)


4. Roll it up!


5. After this, you just keep making strips and adding it onto your roll. The part to remember, though, is to make sure to tape TO the previous roll and of course tape shut. I had a lot of kids forgetting to tape to the roll, so the rings essentially kept falling out.

6. When you have a nice sized circle, pop out into the form of a bowl.

7. Flip the bowl over and mod podge the underside. When dry, mod podge the inside. 









Pin It

2 comments:

  1. I've seen magazine bowls before but never the tutorial. Now I think I must try it! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing this - i had a method that was much more complicated (designed for high school level) and i think this might be a possibility for my younger kids.

    ReplyDelete